Monday, January 11, 2016

Our Own Grand Adventures (credit to Winnie the Pooh)

I'm so happy! I finally got my patriarchal blessing, family calendar, and many other various things back from Miri! The only sad part is that my calendar runs out after March. :( Haha, Sister Yuen was looking through the pictures last night and said, "Wow. This is a lot of pictures of couples.....and you." Haha, Yes, I am a ninth wheel. Thank you for asking. Kidding. ....Kind of. ;)
Sooooo this week has been..... this week. This whole week I've had a song stuck in my head from the Forgotten Carols. The one that goes "All I ever wanted, all I ever wished for, all I ever owned, and all I ever dreamed of  couldn't hold a candle to what I've been given - I've been given so much more." Something like that. It's literally just been running through my head like a broken record and sister Lee is probably sick of hearing me hum it, and quite frankly I'm a little tired of it, too. But, thankfully, it's a beautiful song! This week I've seen a lot about how happiness is a choice. Happiness doesn't come from our circumstances, from our wealth, or the ability to have every cool toy we've ever wanted. It's not found through video games or gossiping, nice cars or homes, or even the ability to sit down and relax all day every day. Sometimes, or even oftentimes, we think we know what we want, we think we know what we need. Of course! We're our own selves, why wouldn't we know what's best for us? We have dreams, we have vision, and don't get me wrong, that's good and right. But often times we're dealt a different hand. Instead of a destination we're given a journey and, sometimes, that journey isn't so pretty. Actually, I'm going to go old school like the old school right now with Winnie the Pooh's Grand Adventure, because it's actually a lot like that. In the beginning they start on a scary journey to a scary place. Everything is dark, scary, and full of thorns and danger at ever turn with hefalumps and woozels hiding behind every rock. But when the reach their destination their perspective is changed. They realize that they had a misunderstanding and that, really, everything isn't so bad, scary, and doomed after all. So they turn around and make the journey home but this time that some road that had been so dark was full of light, butterflies, flowers, friends, and all things great. What was the thing that changed this road and this journey so drasticly? It was only their perspective. For us the gospel is that thing that gives us perspective and changes our world and our long and dreary path to a path of pretty flowers and butterflies. Not to sound like a five year old here.
Ummm, I love you! Talk to you next week!

No comments:

Post a Comment