Monday, October 12, 2015

Q & A Time in Miri!

Q: I'm dying to know if you took your bike with you or not! Random, I know, but I need to know!
A:  Hahaha, Yes, I did bring my bike with me. Through the airport, unpacked it into the taxi, all the way to the house. I felt absolutely ridiculous walking around the airport with a giant bike box! Haha, As if I didn't already stick out enough being white! Haha, speaking of being white, yesterday we were walking down a road when these people looked up yelled, literally, "ORANG PUTTI!!" aka, "WHITE PERSON!!!" Haha, It happens all the time, but they're not usually that excited! I'm pretty sure we're literally the only white people in Miri. In Kuching they at least had a handful of tourists!

Q: How's the jungle? I mean, Miri?
A:  I'm in....more of the jungle. It's definitely more rural, but there's still city here. It's definitely a lot less city than Kuching though. Haha, Here's something to give you an idea; I saw a giant Beawak (don't know how to spell it. Giant lizards. There's one in one of the 007's when he's in Asia?) scrambling through the (also giant) gutter yesterday. Not unusual. haha Malaysia is literally insane, mom. Literally insane!! Haha, America is going to seem so normal when I get back.

In other news, Miri is really, really awesome. I think its because Miri is just normal. Like normal people who have normal conversations and make normal jokes. It's really nice. In Kuching they are really awesome people, they were all just really kind of quiet and shy. Maybe Kuching is just the city of introverts and Miri is a city of Extroverts! haha

Also, the elders are just....gems. They are so good to the sisters! My first day here they rode over to put my bike together for me, then another set rode over to give me bed sheets, and, well, they are just about the nicest boys I've ever met. It's so nice! We're treated so well! AND we just got a senior couple! Miri didn't have ANY until we got the surprise of a new couple on Saturday night! I guess they were transfered from their mission in India really suddenly because of visa issues. I'm so excited to still have a senior couple!

Q: What's your new companion like? Where's she from? Do you have a picture of her?
A:  I love sister O'Boyle! I think we're going to get along really well. Yeah, if all the pictures upload then there should be one or two that I (literally) made her take with me about half an hour ago. Just for you! :) She's from North...? Carolina. One of the Carolinas. I've only recently realized just how tech savvy you and dad really are! Haha, None of my comps have had very tech savvy parents.

Q: Do you have to wear masks in Miri?
A: No masks in Miri. We're a lot further away from Indonesia here and that's where all the smoke was coming from. Nothing but actual, visible skies here!

Q: I can't believe you sent a photo with the sun shining! That's the first one! What's the deal?
A: Haha, Right? And rainy season is about to start!

The kid's expression is PRICELESS!

Sister MacKay LOVES the Sliders! We are so thankful for senior missionaries!


Friendship bracelets!


It looks like the children love Sister MacKay :)

And the feeling is mutual!






All the Farewells to Kuching friends!
(We were told before she left that people sit on the floor & that couches are purely decorative.)


Instructions for using a standard commode.
(She said there are ALWAYS shoe prints on the toilets. Everyone just climbs up and squats on it! Haha! )

Welcome to Miri!


Sister O'Boyle & Sister MacKay: Companions!

There was no explanation for this photo. It is what it is: a Cross made of Barbie photos.

 "A Chichat that I found in our apartment last night. They are literally everywhere! ha, ha Doors in Malaysia aren't sealed, so lizards and bugs always crawl right under." 


No comments:

Post a Comment